First, before we discuss these natural options, it's important to know WHY natural alternatives are ideal. Research has shown that eczema is often caused by underlying psychological (usually stress) trauma, food habits, or dehydration, and not external causes. That being the case, rubbing a steroid cream on your itchy skin may temporarily relieve the itch, but it won't solve your problem. You need to go further than just skin deep.
Try these natural eczema treatments to get to the root of your itchy skin problem:
1. Do a diet check. You eczema could actually be the result of a slight allergic reaction. Try and avoid foods that can cause eczema flare-ups, like citrus fruits, eggs, shellfish, chocolate, wheat, and cow's milk. Cut back on animal fat, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and overly processed foods. Stick to whole grains and eat a lot of Vitamin A and potassium, like carrots and spinach.
2. Treat dry skin with severe hydration. Drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
3. Invest in a vitamin. Your body could be lacking a certain nutrient that's making your skin go haywire. Vitamin C and Vitamin F are often helpful in hydrating skin from the inside out.
4. Try some herbs and oils. Herbal remedies can be calming, which can help rash-prone skin, and with direct contact, can relieve itch and treat eczema. Visit an herbalist who is trained in Chinese Medicine or Ayurvedic Medicine.
5. Relax, relax, relax. Our skin often responds to whatever is going on inside us. If we're stressed out, our skin will get stressed out. If we relax, so will our skin. Stress-induced rashes, such as eczema often clear up on their own if some serious relaxation. Try and cut back on some of your obligations and spend more YOU time unwinding. Your body, inside and out, will thank you!